Bond Oversight Committee
Charge for the Baker School District Citizens’ Bond Oversight Committee (BOC)
1. Overview: The Board of Directors for Baker School District requests the Superintendent to establish a “Bond Oversight Committee.” Comprised of 11 community members, the BOC’s core purpose will be to carefully monitor the delivery of the proposed bond program to ensure accountability, fiscal transparency, and community trust. The Superintendent will serve as the direct liaison to the group.
2. Type and Composition of the Committee: The BOC is deemed an Administrative Committee, reporting to the Superintendent and his officials; with periodic updates to the community and Board of Directors. The Committee shall be comprised of the following members:
At least one member who is active in a business organization representing the business community; located within the school district (e.g. member of the Chamber of Commerce, Baker City Downtown Board, Baker County Economic Development District);
At least one member who owns, operates, or represents senior leadership in a local business;
Two members who work in the financial field or who maintain financial expertise or experience;
Two members with construction, architect, engineering, or associated expertise;
At least one member who is the parent or guardian of a child enrolled in the school district; and,
One representative who served on the Long-Range Facility Committee.
Committee Members must be a resident of the district, be registered to vote, may not be an officer, agent, employee or official of the school district, and may not represent any vendor who may be a contractor or sub-contractor on Bond Projects, or be a consultant of the school district.
3. Charge: Baker School District desires ongoing, independent review of the major projects proposed to voters on the May 18, 2021, election. The Committee should meet at least quarterly and plan to provide annual written progress reports to the community and Board of Directors. The Committee will be responsible to:
Review, and when applicable, participate in the process to solicit, qualify and select general contractors, architects, vendors, and consultants for major projects;
Review financial statements, project scope, construction documents, and bid solicitations to ensure that bond dollars are only being spent on projects approved by voters;
Regularly inspect school facilities and grounds to ensure bond revenues are expended appropriately;
Make recommendations to the Superintendent as to policies and procedures which will enhance accountability for bond dollars to district stakeholders;
Assist in maintaining public trust and confidence in the district through active involvement in communications related to the bond projects; and
4. Reporting: The Committee is to provide an annual report to the community each spring in addition to maintaining consistent communication about its progress via the district’s website.
5. Authority: The Committee will have no independent authority to obligate district funds. The Committee’s recommendations will be used to inform program decisions made by the Superintendent and/or Board.
6. Staff Cooperation: The Committee will work directly with the Superintendent and will be granted access to reports, construction sites and documents pertinent to their charge. District staff members and service providers will be made available to the Committee upon request.
7. Duration of Charge: The Committee will sunset following the substantial completion of all major bond projects, but no earlier than the expensing of 95 percent of all bond proceeds.
8. Committee Appointments: In order to ensure continuity for this multiyear assignment, and also to respect the Committee’s volunteer members, terms ranging from one to two years will be designated for the original Committee members. However, members may choose to maintain membership through the completion of the bond program if their schedule permits. Appointments to the committee will be made through the standard application process used by the district and approved by the Superintendent.